Congratulations to our three new FPNs! We are thrilled at your commitment to a critical step in the evolution of family practice in this province and to the exciting and important work ahead!
Shalloway (Central NL)
On June 27, the Shalloway FPN was launched in Central NL. A shalloway is a large boat that helps smaller fishing vessels ferry their catch to shore. The name is symbolic for the FPN as the Shalloway Family Practice Network intends to bring together individual family physicians from across the region under one, united network.
“All communities in the Central region experience similar challenges with respect to community-based primary care,” Dr. Jared Butler, family physician in Grand Falls-Windsor and Chair of the Shalloway FPN, said in a press release issued by the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association (NLMA).
“We intend to cultivate a culture of collaboration and coordination in order to address such issues as recruitment and retention, care for the elderly, and the mental health needs of our youth. We also intend to enhance the relationship with Central Health by facilitating greater input into policy decisions.”
There are close to 100 family physicians working in 17 communities throughout the Central region. Over the coming months, the Shalloway Family Practice Network will increase its recruitment efforts to bring more fee-for-service and salaried family doctors into the network.
Shalloway FPN Board Officers
(L to R) Dr. Jared Butler (chair), Dr. Raie Lene Kirby (treasurer),
Dr. Wayne Collins (vice-chair)
As well as the officers listed above, the Shalloway FPN Board of Directors includes: Drs. Carmel Casey, Robert Butler, Helen Bruce, and Jody Woolfrey.
June 27, 2018 Province’s first Family Practice Network launched in Central
Long Range FPN (Western NL)
The Long Range FPN in Western NL is excited to announce its newly-formed Board of Directors.
Long Range FPN Board
Front Row: (L to R) Dr. Shanda Slipp (chair), Dr. Julie Warren,
Dr. Paula Cooper (vice-chair) Back Row: (L to R) Dr. Tim Griffin,
Dr. Mark Smallwood, Dr. Dave Thomas (treasurer), Dr. Jim Bowen
(Missing from photo: Dr. Wendy Graham)
Covering a broad geographic area with approximately 100 physicians in 15 communities, the Long Range FPN is eager to begin work on priorities identified by its members. With its name referring to the Long Range Mountains and symbolizing a long-term vision for family practice renewal, the Long Range FPN Board is thrilled to include two new graduate physicians among its Board members.
Priorities of the Long Range FPN include:
- Improving access to health services for in-need populations, including the elderly, patients with mental health issues, and patients with chronic disease;
- More effective use & integration of eHealth and the increase of information/decision supports to optimize practice and patient management; and
- Increased engagement with Regional Health Authority (RHA) consultants and core regional services to streamline patient consultation and referral needs.
Endeavour FPN (St. John’s & Area)
The Endeavour FPN consists of physicians in St. John’s and surrounding areas. The word endeavor means to attempt, strive for, and achieve a goal! The Endeavour FPN Board is keen to start reaching out to family physicians in the area and will start a membership drive over the coming weeks.
Initiatives of the Endeavour FPN will include:
- Development of a Family Practice Community, including a locum sharing service, a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program, physician wellness initiatives, and a practice peer-to-peer support program;
- Development of opportunities to increase collaboration with the RHA, focusing on patient access to community programs; and
- Working with the RHA to identify priority Consultant Service areas of focus to improve Shared Care opportunities and patient access.
Endeavour FPN Board
(L to R) Dr. Annette McCarthy, Dr. Heather Cuddy (chair),
Dr. Francisco Acevedo (vice-chair), Dr. Laura Fitzgerald (treasurer), Dr. Sonny Collis,
Dr. Maureen Gibbons, Dr. Paul Jackman (Missing from photo: Dr. Katie Saunders)
Note: Staff are investigating the eligibility of the unidentified member between
Dr. Acevedo and Dr. Fitzgerald!
If you’re interested in talking to us about FPN development, please don’t hesitate to contact Ian Hodder at (709) 726-7424, ext. 324, or firstname.lastname@example.org.